Sunday 11 January 2009

Macaroni Cauliflower Cheese


Today we had the best ever Macaroni Cauliflower Cheese. This is how it happened:

A few weeks ago, I asked Stephen if he would like Macaroni Cheese for dinner and he said he would cook it. I had all the ingredients and was going to cook it myself. But if someone offers to do my work....

It was delicious - he made the cheese sauce in what I would call 'entirely the wrong way' but it turned out way better than mine. How does he do that?

So today when I suggested we have it again, he agreed to make the cheese sauce. I used to make this quite often in Melbourne where cheese is a staple ingredient. This was one of my 'eat less meat' meals. In Tokyo, this wasn't so till I discovered Nissin supermarket. Now its back on the menu again. It's not the healthiest of meals and we both love cauliflower cheese so I add that to the pasta. And bacon of course. My version has had a bit of chopped tomato on the top, spring onions, pine nuts/walnuts - mostly to add nutrition and perhaps mustard and nutmeg to the sauce. I also don't use macaroni pasta as this gets too soft in the baking process.

I was cringing as he made the sauce. And again it was the tastiest sauce for macaroni cauliflower cheese! Today's recipe had shell shaped pasta, cauliflower, bacon bits, a mix of cheddar, red cheddar, mixed packet of cheese with breadcrumbs and parmesan on the top.

I checked Delia Smith's version, a bit complicated for me, asking to whip egg whites just to make dinner! and she suggests heating the dish while preparing the pasta/sauce. This certainly hastens things up.

No comments: