Tuesday 3 February 2009

Lamb stew

I bought some lamb cubes and wanted to make a stew. I had once made one with aubergines, cumin and mint. I liked the idea of the ingredients but it never turned out well. I don't know where I went wrong with that one. I came home only to find I didn't have that magazine with me so I had to consult the internet to get some ideas.

Nigella had an interesting one, but I realised most British/Australian lamb stew recipes resemble lamb shank recipes or had a Moroccan tinge to it for added spices (served with couscous). All had tinned tomatoes, beans, cumin/cinnamon, chilli, bla bla bla. I looked at my recylced space filled with empty tinned tomatoes (pizza, pasta, another stew) and decided not to use tomatoes.

So I needed a Greek recipe and found this. I was so inspired by its simplicity. Such basic ingredients. Then you could add vegetables as appropriate and it gave a few authentic examples. What better place to find!.

I am getting some experience with making stews, especially since Stephen got his casserole dish. So I invented this recipe and it turned out alright. I am confident of writing the recipe out because it had the least inteference and effort put in, quiet straight forward.

One thing though, I served it to Nathan and he turned his nose at it. Didnt like it at all. I on the other hand loved the taste of it and as I got to the cauliflower (which Nathan used to love!) remembered my childhood days when I used to hate cauliflower. The whole dish was stamped - anti children - the sort of food mothers would force on their children. But I loved it.....

Lamb stew with cauliflower.

1 kg lamb cubed, floured
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
2 slices tinned jalapeno pepper
1 clove garlic
3 tbs parsley chopped
salt and pepper
1 cup wine
3 cups cauliflower chopped
4 potatoes, peeled, cut into large chunks


1. While you heat casserole dish, flour, salt and pepper the lamb cubes. Then add oil and brown the lamb. Turn heat off. Add onions, green pepper, garlic, jalapeno pepper and mix thoroughly. Leave to marinate in the oven for 1 hour.
2. 2 1/2 hours before its needed, turn the oven on with the casserole inside.
3. 1/2 an hour later, add the wine and some water but dont cover the meat.
4. 1 hours later, mix the casserole then lay the potatoes on top of meat but so as it doesnt touch the liquid.
5. 1/2 an hour later, remove the steamed potatoes gently and into another container. Mix the casserole, season as appropriate and add the cauliflower.
6. 15 minutes later its all done and ready to serve.

I served this with green lentils with tomatoes. This stew had a very lemony taste and needed something earthy to go with it.

2 comments:

Dharm said...

You have a Le Creuset?? I want one!! This lamb stew sounds delish!

Naomi said...

Yes, it was a anniversary present. Actually we went to get a Japanese casserole dish but they don't have a enameled cast iron pot. They have a clay dish for nabe, stainless sukiyaki pots or cast iron for over the fire. But the Le Creuset is the most versatile.
I've ALWAYS wanted one (know exactly how you feel) and knew one day I would have to get one, so when Stephen said, shall we get it.. There was no argument.