Monday 19 January 2009

Beef Caserole

A friend told me this recipe. She makes it on days that she knows she won't have time to cook. So its all prepared in the morning and left in the oven with a note to her children. All they do it put the oven on 2 hours before eating. I made it today - took me 15 minutes to prepare, leave in the oven for later.

Its a bit like Lancashire hot pot.

Beef Casserole

400g oyster blade steak
1 onion sliced into rings
1 carrot, cut into circles
1 bay leaf
1 sprig rosemary
3 tbs madiera wine
1 cube beef stock
Water, salt and pepper

1. Find a casserole dish with a close fitting lid. My friend used a ceramic pot/earthern ware pot.
2. Lay the onions, bay leaf,rosemary, madiera, meat, carrots in that order.
3. Sprinkle a cube of beef stock over it, salt and pepper. Pour enough water to cover the meat by 2/3.
4. Place a baking sheet over the pot and cover.
5. Leave in the oven till ready to cook.
6. Cook for 2 hours on 180 deg C (and not for less than that)

I put some potatoes over the carrots so it becomes a one pot dish. If I have a really small amount of tomatoes, like 3 cherry tomatoes or some sweet potato, I might place them in as well.

No comments: