Wednesday 17 December 2008

Ramen shop

Now there is this dish that keeps appearing in photos in front of Ramen shops. The intrigue is that it looks like a delicious version of Laksa. All that chilli oil floating on top, the brown sauce that could only be the chilli belacan I remember from primary school and the green boiled vegetables to temper the heat.

I found myself in Omotesando, childless (he was in kinder) and having finished my last errand - at the post office - standing in front of a ramen shop, looking at this photo. I must try it someday flashed across my mind, then why not today? I can eat as hot as I like without Nathan!



It was a bit downhill from here. This is Japanese tantanmen (whoppee! - I love the Chinese dan dan mien) which is described as noodles served in a sesame broth with chilli. And the brown 'belacan' was marinated pork. Not as hot as i thought? Ah well, still should be tried. I ordered it and was asked which 'lunch time free' item I wanted: a bowl of rice??, an upgrade to a large size, soy sauce egg, pickles, chinese almond jelly or caramel pudding. Guess which one I chose.

It wasn't hot at all - I toyed with putting more chilli oil in it, but it was oily enough. Sesame oil. But it was delicious. I couldnt stop drinking the soup and finished all of it. Yum!. The marinated pork was like char siew, just like a laksa without any spice. I'll have it again and put lots of sancha.

Note added later: I am discovering that Japanese people have rice as a side dish with their spicy/strong flavoured ramen. After eating all the noodles they dip spoonfuls of rice into the soup to finish it off!

1 comment:

Dharm said...

That certainly does look like Laksa!! Hope the spicy chicken (Murgh Masala) turns out well for you....!!