Monday 8 September 2008

Dressing for fish

I found this most wonderful sauce for fish in Stephanie Alexander's recipe book . It is not hers - its a Thai recipe she adapted from the famous Australian Thai food chef, David Thompson's (he wrote that huge Thai cooking tome) She says she uses less garlic and chilli but I dont really measure for this recipe, so perhaps I am tasting his version. It's simply the most gorgeous sauce I have tried and will make over and over again.

1 coriander plant (including root) well washed
1 tspn salt
2 cloves garlic
4 fresh small green chillis, chopped
1 tbs castor sugar
3 tbs fresh lime juice
2 tbs fish sauce

I pounded the salt, coriander root and garlic cloves in a mortar and pestle then added all the ingredients and mixed them up.

I drizzled it over some grilled fish and it was awesome.

Delicious..

The next day, I had some left over and I mashed it into an avocado - that was delicious too - I just ate that with bread.

Today, I made some sauce (without the sugar and chillis) mashed it into an avocado, added some chopped onion, tomatoes and chopped tuna sashimi. But Stephen said that although it tasted really nice, you couldnt taste the tuna. I agreed, the garlic was too overpowering but I did enjoy the texture of the tuna in the mixture.

No comments: