Friday 9 October 2015

Broad beans and Feta salad


My neighbour grows broad beans for the neighbour over her other side. She said it was his favourite and she grew it in exchange for all the favours he gives her. It made me think that broad beans must be something amazing. 

In Japan, we were once served a burnt broad bean pod. All they did was burn the broad bean shell and all over a barbecue, sprinkled with salt and served on a long plate. We were meant to break into the blackened skin and eat the inside. The way it was presented, I thought I was eating the most wholesome, treasured broad bean. 

So I have been dreaming about a good broad bean recipe, I buy broad beans and managed to get Nathan to like it raw. 



Here is one that I made for my mother's birthday dinner. I cooked roast lamb with lots of roast vegetables - brinjal, tomatoes, zucchini, onions. and needed something green. This wasn't planned so this is what I did:


1 packet Frozen broad beans
1/4 cup Frozen small peas
1/4 packet of Feta cheese block
Sprinkle of dried oregano
Slice the Apple mint leaves finely
Sliced roasted pistachio nuts
Glug of olive oil and lemon juice
Chilli flakes, salt and pepper

Throw the packet of frozen broad beans into boiling water for 5 minutes. 
Then remove, allowing it to cool, then remove the broad bean skin. 
Heat the frozen peas for 1 minute. 
Break up the feta with a fork till it is crumbly. Stir in the oregano to flavour it. 
Leave this to marinade while removing the broad bean skin
Mix the broad bean, peas, and salt. 
Add the lemon juice, feta and fold gently. 
Spread the mint, pepper and chilli all over the top of the salad. Fold them in. 
Sprinkle the sliced pistachios
Serve. 

We could add:
Fried bacon bits
Apple bits

No comments: