Wednesday 27 May 2009

Macarons

I have to list the macarons I tasted.

While Daniel was here, we did a hunt for Pierre Herme macaron. In the rush, we had googled the wrong place, drove round the posh parts of Tokyo and bought some. They did not taste like the beautiful ones Stephen gave me a few years before. The taste still remembered on my tongue. And Daniel did not enjoy the outing.

It was the first macaron I tasted in a long while. Stephen had returned from his trip to Japan with a present for me. A pack of Macarons from Pierre Herme and it was simply the best thing. The meringue itself had almond meal in them with a complex flavourings, and paired with a matching flavour in the cream in between. It seemed to be most about the complexity of delicate flavours carried with the meringue that made the little sweet a drop in heaven.

Since, we moved to Japan, macaron was becoming a big thing. I almost screamed when McDonalds cafe sold them a few years later! It carries a large profit margin, every patisserie that could, sold them. And all of them lacked the complex flavouring of the first ones I tasted. Sadly, though, I had forgotten the name of the macaron Stephen got for me, and I didn't find it again.

Nathan tried it once and we ended up getting one from Joel Rubichon with every visit to the playground in Ebisu.

We have tried

Joel Rubichon (so so)
Piere Mason
Lauduree (not again)



http://www.omnomnomad.com/2015/12/26/3-patisseries-you-must-try-in-tokyo/



No comments: